Traditional Naturopath & Herbalist
Monica “Joy” Mitzel has an infectious passion for herbs, holistic health and education. Her goal is to share herbal knowledge in a way that allows for individuality and creativity, empowering students to feel comfortable incorporating herbs into their everyday lives.
I am continually learning,
My interest in the human body and helping people to achieve wellness started when I was in high school. My senior year, I decided to become a CNA and work with the elderly and disabled. In 1990/91 I was able to continue using my training to work in a hospital ICU as a patient monitor for very critical patients – monitoring urine output, temperature, blood pressure and their overall health. A few years later, I became very interested in learning about medicine and enrolled in a Pharmacy Tech school. The curriculum was challenging, but very fun, and it was there I discovered that medication was derived from plants! 🌼🌿
That shifted my entire focus.
My Educational Background
I threw myself into the study of plants, grabbing any books I could find on herbs, plant identification, and homeopathy. I started using herbs and homeopathic medicine with my family and helping friends do the same. I also began studying nutrition and cooking using whole foods. I then became a lactation support mom with the La Leche League to help new mom’s become comfortable nursing their babies (the healthiest start to life!).
In 2011 I delved into the world of cancer and holistic therapies because my mom was diagnosed with late stage-4 breast cancer. Though the therapy didn’t reverse her disease, it did allow her to get off her pain meds and anti-depressants for the last few months she was alive. Being free of pain gave her the ability to be present and alert in order enjoy her family.
After that I was even more convinced that we can effectively use nutrition, lifestyle, and herbs to promote health and prevent disease.
I’ve never stopped my study of herbs and nutrition, but I added the study of the brain, exercise, and essential oils around 2011. Then, after 24 years my hubby retired from the Marine Corps and we were able to settle down. I decided to pursue a certificate as a Master Clinical Herbalist and began seeing clients on a limited basis because my passion was teaching wildcrafting, medicine making, & holistic health. I started offering courses online in 2019 and now that the biggest course is built, I am able to see clients more often. I still use my consult time to educate and empower each client to take charge of their own health, but it’s personalized and I really like that.
The last few years I have dived even deeper into the study of nutrition, brain health, mind/body connection, and the role of the gut in overall health. It is a passion of mine to learn as much as I can in order to help others take control of their own health, happiness, and future.
- Certified Nursing Assistant, 1987 (worked in the field until Aug 1991)
- Pharmacy Technician A, certified in 1995 (Internship at the very busy naval hospital Bremerton)
- Read/studied, plant walks and used herbs and homeopathic remedies, since 1995 for family and friends
- Associates of Psychology program, University of Phoenix, 2008-2010
- Master Gardener, 2017
- Master Forest Steward, 2017
- Southwest School of Botanical Medicine Program (online), 2017
- Clinical Skills, Paul Bergner, 2017
- Formulation, Paul Bergner, 2017
- Certified Herbalist Heart of Herbs, 2017
- Action Based Herbalism, American Herbalist’s Guild Professional Herbalist Track Symposium, 2017 *(focused on clinical herbalism from free clinics to dispensary management)
- Herbal Energetics (book study), Matthew Wood, 2017
- Herbal Energetics Jim McDonald (online), 2017
- Master Clinical Herbalist Certificate, Heart of Herbs, 2018
- Certified Healthy Gut Advisor, Karen Langston, 2018
- Lifestyle and Weight Management Specialist NESTA, 2018
- Healthy All Year, Aviva Romm, 2018
- Edison Institute of Nutrition Diploma Program (2018 and ongoing, estimated date of graduation – 10/2020)
- Introduction to Ayurveda, The Ayurveda Experience, 2018
- Systems for Success: Creating & Managing a Successful Holistic Practice Live Conference, 2018
- Mindfulness Practitioner/Life Coaching, Kain Ramsey –Achology (ongoing)
- Keeping Your Brain Brilliant (online) Dr. Charis Lindrooth, 2019
- Clinical Aromatherapy Isla Verde Training, 2019
- Clinical Assessment of the Tongue, Susan Kramer, 2019 AHG Symposium
- Common Blood Tests and Their Use for Clinical Assessment in Herbal Practice, Claudia Joy Wingo, AHG Symposium, 2019
- Differential Diagnosis for the Herbalist, David Winston, AHG Symposium, 2019
- Skills for Critical Assessment of Herbal Research in Clinical Practice, Erika Galentin, AHG Symposium, 2019
- Clinical Assessment for the Herbalist, AHG Symposium Intensive, Rebecca Snow, 2019
- Herbal Pharmacology 1 & 2 (online), Guido Mase, 2020
- Introduction to the Eclectic Triphasic Medical System, Donald Yance, February 2020
I’ve played piano since I was 6 and have taught students off and on since I was 16.
I truly believe music is healing and an amazing outlet for emotions. In early the early 2000s, I began studying music at my local college, both voice and piano. It allowed me to begin teaching voice and, eventually, lead church choirs.
Now I homestead with my hubby, daughter and son on a 40-acre property in North Idaho. We grow a large percentage of our own food using permaculture, natural fertilizers and love.
I enjoy cooking from scratch and teaching others to do the same. I’m an avid reader and am addicted to studying. In the summer, you’ll likely find me in my herb garden or wandering through our forest. I also love good wine, good friends and laughing.
To educate and empower each individual to live in optimal wellness and vitality. This approach is holistic, comprehensive and compliments any existing health care program.
My goal is to quickly get clients to the point where they don’t need me anymore! 🙂
Your well being, health and vitality are of my utmost concern, and I look forward to working with you to achieve wellness.